Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Taking Charge

A friend sent me the link to this article on CNN about taking charge as the mom. As I read it, I realized how I had moved from controlled to in-charge.

When my children were very young, I felt very controlled. I remember specifically wondering what my former work colleagues who didn’t have children would think about someone that small being in charge of my life. But, when they were babies, that was ok. Seriously. They are only communicating needs and it was my job to provide what they needed.

But, once they got old enough to communicate, the power shifted. Not that I’m a tyrant, but I’m definitely in charge. My children do negotiate – my oldest is a master at never giving up – but they aren’t in charge. At least I don’t think they are. I’ll have to watch my behavior over the next few days just to make sure.

No comments: