Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Horseback Riding

Today I had my first horseback riding lesson. I have ridden horses a handful of times before – and fallen off about 50 percent of the time – but have never really had lessons. I am into my forties and the last time I was on a horse was close to twenty years ago. So, why did I have a horseback riding lesson today? The short answer is that my children have been taking lessons for a few months now, only because of the heat their lessons in the summer were at 7:00 am. School started last week, making early morning lessons impossible (school starts at 7:45 am), and it's still much too hot here for afternoon lessons. So, I'm taking their slot for a few weeks until the weather cools.

The real question, though, is WHY am I taking their slot? Hmmm. This one requires a longer answer. First, I am taking lessons because I want to – which is really reason enough. Every time I got on a horse, I wished I knew more about what to do. The other part of the answer is that I'm taking lessons because my children are. Since all three of my children have been taking lessons, I wanted to know how to ride with them. It would be fun to go riding together as a family sometimes.

I try to get involved in the activities that my children enjoy. Not in a "parent who just wants to be your friend" kind of way, but just to be able to talk to them about their activities and sometimes participate with them. I have learned now to play Pokemon, video games, and soccer. I have learned all about guinea pigs and hamsters. And, I even watch the Disney Channel occasionally. I have found that when I know something about what my children enjoy, they talk to me more. Keeping those lines of communication open is very important to me, even more so the older my children get. I'm always worrying about "those teen years". I hope I survive them!

Hopefully, horseback riding lessons will help.

No comments: