Sunday, September 13, 2009

It’s a Miracle

The most amazing thing happened this morning. My 10-year-old woke me up at 6:30 to ask if I knew where his Sunday shoes were!

For years I have been giving my son instructions on how to get ready in the morning. School clothes he finally got down and so long as he gets up early enough, he can get himself completely dressed and ready to go. But, Sunday has been a different story.

I guess it's that his wardrobe is so different and since he only wears some of it once a week, if he left things sitting somewhere he shouldn't, after a week he doesn't remember where they are. Plus, Sunday mornings are much slower than weekly ones. During the week we have to leave the house by 7:30 am for school, so there's no leisure time. On Sunday, church doesn't start until 10:00 am. My kids enjoying playing around or watching TV and they are never in a hurry to get dressed. But, this morning at 6:30, my son had on dress pants, a white shirt (not ironed, of course, so he ended up having to take it off for ironing), a belt and black socks and was looking for his shoes! I thought I would fall out of bed.

Maybe this parenting thing does work after all. How many times have I had to follow him around on Sunday mornings reminding him to find clothes, find dark socks or his dress shoes? He's ten, so you do the math. A LOT of Sundays. For the first time today, I didn't have to.

So, maybe my children really will learn eventually to be responsible for themselves. Just one incident that will help me have more patience to wait for changes in my children's behavior.

It was a nice way to start off a Sunday morning.

No comments: